Please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Poetry – Submit 1-4 poems for consideration. Poems should be uploaded via the Submissions Manager (link above) in .PDF or .doc(x) format. For the editors’ convenience, please submit each poem individually (i.e., one per document). Include a brief author bio as part of your cover letter.
- Fiction & Nonfiction – Submit a work of fiction or nonfiction (5000-word max) for consideration. Excerpts from longer works and flash fiction pieces are welcome. These should be uploaded via the Submissions Manager in .PDF or .doc(x) format. For the editors’ convenience, please submit each piece individually (i.e., one per document). Include a brief author bio as part of your cover letter.
- “Prude Bruce Clause” – For the editors’ convenience, please limit yourself to only one genre submission per cycle (i.e., poetry, fiction, or nonfiction). We do accept submissions from writers who have been published in NBR previously (see below), so choose one genre this time and another next time. Versatility is rad.
- For the Veterans – If your work was featured in a previous issue of NBR, feel free to submit more work to us, but please understand that priority will be given to fresh, new writers. On the other hand, if you’re just plain brilliant (again), you can expect us to eagerly agonize (again) over your work.
- Withdrawals – To withdraw a submission at any time during our reading periods, please do so in the Submissions Manager rather than e-mailing us directly. We encourage simultaneous submissions, yet kindly inform us ASAP if your work is going somewhere else first.